Monday, April 18, 2011

Modeling Behavior Seems to Work

Gang
I wanted to share some experience from my elective course regarding modeling behavior.  Initially I was very frustrated by the change from the nice peaceful group dynamic of 17D to a more traditional Army staff group in my new course.  For the first few days, this caused me to be quiet and not contribute much orally to the group.  But then I decided to put what I have learned to the test and tried modeling behavior I thought might be beneficial to the group.  I decided to model the following behavior: Use of proper names vice pronouns, use of "yes, and" active listening, asking about personal reactions, and volunteering several excercises.   I was pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of just modeling the behavior.  I actually had people coming to me to ask me more in-depth questions on the actions I was modeling, it was appearant to the ones listening.

I would highly encourage you to try this and test its effectiveness in other groups.

Thanks
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment