Sunday, November 21, 2010

Complex Problems...of the Human Variety

Critical thinking, design, human networking...all things that would seemingly contribute to solving complex problems.  Many times they actually are key tools to working through the famed "ill-structured" problem but how do they apply to inherently human problems?  Not even big situations like rebuilding a country or conducting military operations, what about just plain old day to day relationships?

I know that for me personally the skills and tools that I have developed over the last few months help me recognize problems and the relative level of complexity and particularly in the area of relationships.  So far, my ability to better recognizing the problems hasn't really translated into an ability to effectively arrive a positive solutions.  I think that I'll eventually get to the point where I can actually positively affect things in a more substantial way...sometimes it would be nice to speed this process up.

I know that I understand myself infinitely better than I used to.  I can see other's perspectives better and maybe more importantly actually "hear" them much better.  Those things alone let me know that whatever the final outcome of the "Starfish" program is for the Army, it's been very beneficial for me.  It has made me a better leader and from that I know the Army will benefit...even if it doesn't understand it.

- Jay Wisham

2 comments:

  1. Jay, well said. Governments, politicians, militaries and regular citizens devote a lot of time and effort to understand problems to make life safer and more enjoyable. As long as the world is a society and a system of people, I feel the ability to understand people, along with their environment, background and points of view will be the most valuable thing we can do to solve problems. The ability to step out of your own experiences and your own "skin" and value another human being's opinion and point of view is critical for us as communities, countries and the human race as a whole to be tolerant of each other and exist peacefully. And, this understanding all starts with the people around us, the people we know best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, TB. What you are noting is a big take away that I have from our experience over the last few months. I relize that maturity in your perspective comes not simply from time but the type of experiences that you have over time. My perspective has definetly shifted, for the better I think, and actively accounting for the point of view of others is probably the most significant manifestation of this.

    ReplyDelete